7/27/08

Can you Hear the Thunder?

There is nothing more awesome than a good summer thunderstorm.  In Texas, I got to experience these bad boys quite frequently.  When I moved to Boston, I realized that this part of the country just doesn't see these intense storms quite so often.  I believe the first one I experienced in New England was over a year after I had moved here.  It was such a rarity, that several of my coworkers and I gathered under the awning of our front entry to watch it.  So, they definitely happen here, but it's not usually a weekly occurrence.  

Flash forward to this summer.  I think I've seen more thunder\lightening storms here this season than in my last nine years (can you believe I've been here 9 year?!?) put together.  A lot of them have been very intense.  They've been exhilarating to experience and I've really enjoyed getting to watch them.  Today I sat in my sun room reading a book and listening to this afternoon's storm.  It was great to relax to the music of the rain.  

Unfortunately, the storms have also done a lot of harm in the area.  Over a dozen people have been struck by lightning and damage was incurred as well as one life lost in a tornado in NH.  Mother nature can be truly powerful.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Witn Texas temps hovering at 104 degrees, I wish I could be there to injoy the Storm Symphony. We need the rain here!