7/8/08

Logging your food intake

One of the headlines today is about how logging your food helps folks to lose weight faster. From my experience, it's true! It's one of my "secrets" to weight loss. Although a pain in the rear at times, it keeps me on track with my intake vs burned calories and keeps me honest (with myself) with how much I've eaten in a day.

I use http://www.fitday.com/, a free site. You can log food intake, weight, weight goals and activities on it. If you're like me and cook a lot of the same foods over and over again, it's definitely worth a try. After you get your "Custom Foods" repertoire filled up a bit and learn how to search their engine efficiently, it becomes quite easy to use. I've been logging now for over 2 years. I do give myself a break on the weekends when my schedule's a bit more erratic. Weekends are also the times I let myself "cheat" on my rules. Because of both of these factors, my weight is definitely up on Mondays!

Supposedly, losing\gaining\maintaining weight is simply a measure of calories in versus calories out. Given my activity level, I supposedly should be able to eat more than I do and not gain weight. Not true, though. Other than my assumed "I'm a freak of nature," does anyone with nutrition and\or medical knowledge know why this might not be the case? I've had my base metabolism measured and it seems pretty on par with the assumed amounts for my age\height\weight. 10 point bonus to anyone that might be able to solve the mystery!

No comments: