6/7/09

Our New Neighbor

I am always completely stunned that in such an urban setting (ok, we're in the burbs but we're still in the city of Boston city limits, not even the actual suburbs) that we see so much wildlife. Before moving to Boston, I used to see lots of interesting animals in Texas as roadkill on the long stretches of highway in between cities and "normal" city animals such as opossum, raccoons and squirrels actually within the city limits (even in Austin which I consider to be a lot less urban than Dallas). Since moving to Boston, though, I see a lot more wildlife at home.

When I lived in Jamaica Plain (granted, across from a very large park with lots of wooded areas), I used to get skunks in our yard pretty often. I always carefully walked up the back steps to my door after finding one on the porch one time. Since moving to West Roxbury, though, I've seen what I consider to be more "wild" wildlife. There are the wild turkey flocks that are around my home and work areas. I've also seen, of all the strange things, a coyote running down the middle of my street. One of our more frequent visitors are the wild rabbits that live about. We spotted one just out the back door last week. Luci, always at her back door post, somehow missed it because he was as still as can be. However, Mike saw him clearly and snuck out to get a great picture of him. What a cutey!

No comments: