12/20/08

It Means What You Think It Means!



WE'RE HAVING A BABY!!!

Yes, we have now officially joined the baby crazy that seems to have taken over our generation. They say you're never truly ready for it, and we definitely feel like we fall smack down into that category.  However, now that we've had some time to digest the news and are now comfortable sharing it with the world, the excitement level is somewhat overtaking the fear.

We found out that we were pregnant November 3rd, the day my parents and Aussie friend Anthony left Boston and the day before Barack Obama was elected president.  Needless to say, that was a bit of a roller coaster week for us.  Since then, we chose to share the news with parents and siblings.  While it was nice to have some people to discuss the big event with freely, I must admit, it might not have been worth the torture of making them also keep the news to themselves.  (I'm sure both mothers were on the phone all day yesterday after we called them post Dr's appointment.)

So, yesterday we had our first ultrasound.  Everything looks great (according to the people who know how to read those things....I thought everything looked more alien-esque)!  After getting done with the folks in the maternal fetal medicine department, we headed up to my obstetricians and got to hear the heartbeat over Doppler.  Though seeing the ultrasound was cool, I must admit it didn't make the pregnancy "more real" to me like folks said it would...it still felt like I was just watching something on tv.  Once we heard the heartbeat, though, I think it started to sink in that this real, living being was being formed inside of me.  Wow!  That's crazy!

Speaking of crazy, in the picture posted above, I can, without too much imagination, see a baby. However, in this picture they also took, I think it looks more like a chicken nugget:
It's funny.  My parents have been far more concerned with my safety now that I'm carrying their grandchild (what was I, chopped liver before?) and everyone always seems to ask me how I'm feeling before anything else.  Listen people, I've been knowingly pregnant for about 7 weeks and have been successfully been able to "hide" it from just about everyone.  Obviously, I've been functioning fairly well.

But seriously, I've definitely had pregnancy symptoms (kind of inescapable in my present state) but they've honestly been very manageable.  I've been extremely tired, which has definitely been a challenge for my personality.  My daily to do lists have ceased since I'm never able to cross anything off, my workouts have gone to a level of what I consider "wimpy" and I need more sleep than I thought I would ever need.  "Morning sickness" hasn't been in the morning nor has it made me very sick.  I would often get this feeling of "am I overly hungry or do I feel sick" that eating something made go away (hence the weight gain above what all the books say I should have gained at this point).  That feeling has been rare over the last week or so, though, so hopefully at the tail end of that (even though it's not the nightmare that some people experience, it still gets old).  Also, my clothes are all now tight and uncomfortable, but really nothing worse than those things.

The due date is July 8, 2009 (7-8-9!).  So, look for updates on my growing belly until then.  Oh, but don't worry, I'm still me.  If I don't have anything else going on but baby stuff between now and then to write about, kill me now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike and Kara,
Wow the little one is growing soo fast! Great work mama! We are so excited for the two of you. You are going to make great parents! Sounds like you are enjoying all of the changes that this wonderful little peanut has done to you and looking forward to all of the changes that are yet to come. FYI - Your blog used to be about all of the things going on with you and the world but starting now and for the next 20+ years it is all about this little miracle! Enjoy - time has just shifted up a gear!
Are you sure that there is only one baby in the picture? Just kidding!!
Merry Christmas!
Love,
The Renauds

A said...

Wow, you're a GREAT actress! BC I saw you on the 4th and I would've never guessed you had a secret so huge.

Congratulations dear ones. I am soooooo happy for you both. And you felt like you were playing 'grown up' before! :-) This'll be the ultimate and probably the BEST way to experience grown upness.

Much love and great big hugs to the mama

Sarah said...

Congratulations!! I totally know what you mean about all the pregnancy symptoms, as I felt very much the same (especially the 'am I sick or do I need to eat' feeling). And, I was wondering when you mentioned that you 'bought a bigger car because you were thinking about a family someday' whether you were already pregnant!

Best of luck with everything, and if you ever find yourself needing advice, I've got all kinds of it now!

Shaunna said...

Congrats lady - welcome to the club. It's an amazing ride!!