5/8/12

You Didn't Sink My Battleship

It's been a month since my brother's family was here and I haven't yet finished blogging about it. My excuse for everything these days is that I have a new baby and I don't sleep. I do my best to stay on top of things. Most days I'm running from task to task, doing loops around my house to clean, get things for kids, change diapers, get food for me, get my craft room organized, appointments here and there and even a workout now and then. It's an unending loop of things to do and I often feel like I'm on a hamster wheel that's turning faster than I can run and I'm constantly trying to keep up. Naturally, something's going to get knocked down on the priority list and it looks like it's blogging. But, since I can honestly say I'm doing my best, I just can't feel too bad about it. Without further ado, here's what we did with Jody's family on their last day in town.

It was the Monday after Easter and the gang had an afternoon flight. Since we really hadn't done much in the way of sightseeing, we got the cars packed up with all of their suitcases and everyone in both of our families and headed down to the Charlestown navy yard to see the USS Constitution, also known as Old Ironsides.

After finding parking, getting everyone unloaded and making the short walk to the navy yard, we first headed into the museum where we learned that the boat is not open for tours on Monday. Bummer! However, it ended up being a really fun trip for everyone anyway. The museum had a great interactive exhibit that the kids, of all ages, had fun going through.

Ryker at the Cannon
Dylan on the Wheel in the Background

Hoisting the Goat Onto the Deck

Ryker, Marcy and Reece Testing Out the Hammocks

Dylan Cooking Some Grub for the Crew

Dylan and Ryker Cooking

Presley, Dylan and Jody on the Hammocks

Reece, Jody, Mike and Ryker Pulling Up the Sail

Marcy and Dylan Stepped In to Help Too
After spending a good amount of time at the museum, we did get to see a boat. With the constitution closed, the navy yard opened up the USS Cassin Young for tours. As many times as I've been down to do tourist stuff in that area, I've never had an opportunity to go on that boat so I was pretty stoked. As a kid, I have fond memories of running around the battleship in Galveston with my brothers and this boat seemed to be cut from the same stock. So, I enjoyed touring around it immensely.
USS Cassin Young

How We Roll - Dylan, Cade and I

Monkeying Around - Reece, Presley, Ryker and Dylan


Burches In Front of USS Constitution

Big Anchor
After we were done at the navy yard, we headed next door to a park for a picnic lunch and play. And, I got to see yet another tourist attraction that was new to me, the Korean War Memorial.

Dylan and Uncle Jody

Marcy, Reece, Jody, Presley, Dylan, Mike and Cade
Shortly after lunch, we walked back to our cars and I said my good byes to Jody's family. Mike took them to the airport and I took Dylan and Cade home. I know I've said it several times but it was such a great visit and it was sad to have it end. I truly hope I don't have to wait 5 and half years for another visit from them. (Got that Jody?)

No comments: