7/13/11

Harry Potter Birthday

Sunday, July 3rd, was the day of Dylan's Harry Potter birthday party. That morning, Mike, my parents and I did a lot of picking up and cleaning. While Dylan napped, we started food prep. He woke up around 2, we all showered and got ready and at 3 the guests started to arrive!

Dylan didn't have much say in his guest list. It was comprised of his grandparents, Boston area aunts\uncles\cousins and a couple of my friends that live in the neighborhood that have some kiddos. It felt  like a big group...maybe because they're all loud and fun.

First on the party agenda was cooking and eating. It's July, after all. You can't have a party without some sort of cookout.
Emily, Mike and Dylan Spreading the Harry Potter Tablecloth

Dylan and His Friend Luke Being Entertained By.....

Cousin Corwin's Antics on the Swing

Ryan

Kari, Kristina and Jim

Cooking Boys - Joe, Bumpa and Patrick

Mike Helped Run the Grill

Joe and Kristina Hamming It Up
The entire holiday weekend was forecast to have beautiful weather, except for 3-5 on Sunday afternoon....just the time frame for the party. We crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. 75% of the party was rain free and the part that wasn't, just in time for the burgers coming off the grill, was a light rain that didn't seem to bother those that stayed outside. Our big umbrella over the table seemed to provide just enough shelter.

After we were all fully stuffed, it was time to admire my Mom's wonderful birthday cake, sing to the birthday boy and then massacre the cake.
Ready For The Candle Lighting

The Birthday Boy Got a Little Overwhelmed
Being the Center of Attention During the Birthday Song

Since Dylan was not into performing for the crowds, his pal Luke graciously helped him blow out the candle. Well, in reality, Luke just got to it quickly. I did relight it for the birthday boy to make his wish but he just wouldn't give it a try. So, I got to blow it out the second time around.

Then The Legos Came Off The Cake

And The Boys Happily Played With Them
Dylan was actually too busy playing with his cake decorations to serve himself the cake he'd been wanting to dig into all day long! Like a good Mom, I fed him a few bites while he enjoyed playing. What a life!

Then it was time to open presents! Even though he was excited earlier in the day to open presents saying "open, open!" every time he passed the table where they were stacked, by that point he was far too happy with playing with his new lego toys to be interested. But, I finally did finagle him to start opening them (cousins and friend Luke were close by if he needed any help). Each gift was a struggle though because he was so excited for his new things that he wanted to play with them right then!

Sporting His New Shades

Tractors to Tip!!!!
His Big Present From Nana and Bumpa - A Sand and Water Table
(He wasn't too stoked while it was in the box but he absolutely loves it!
I don't know anything else, other than watching Cars or Harry Potter,
that can keep him entertained as long as his sand and water table does!)
Tractors Have Been Tipped
Smooches From the Birthday Boy
After the gifts were opened, the crowds parted quickly. It was evening by then and everyone was ready to call the party a success and get back to their lives at home. After cleaning up, Mimaw, Pipaw, Mike, Dylan and I settled in to watch a little boob tube. Dylan had had a lot of excitement that day and was doing his typical overtired act - being crazy and wallowing over everything.


He Climbed All Over Pipaw

And Even on Mimaw!
This kid was pooped! It was a fun birthday party but that boy obviously needed to head to bed. So, I took him there and he happily laid down in it.

There were moments that I was slightly bummed that he wasn't enjoying his party the way I'd hoped. For Dylan, he was acting a little sensitive and seemed to prefer watching Cars to playing with his cousins. I got over my sadness pretty quickly and realized that it's his party and he doesn't need to have fun the way I planned for him. He can do what he wants....after all, it's him we're celebrating and it's his special time!

1 comment:

Cara Linn said...

That cake is fantastic! :) Love it!