We have had a very busy last week hosting my parents (who just hopped on a plane home tonight), throwing Dylan a 2nd birthday party and, most importantly, celebrating his actual birthday today! He's officially hit the 2 year mark (as of 1 something this a.m.) and, so far, isn't really living up to that "terrible" title yet. Sure, he's testing he's boundaries and exerting his preferences but that's just part of becoming his own person. For the most part, he's still pretty good at listening and is fun to be around.
His vocabulary continues to grow leaps and bounds daily. In addition to picking up words for new objects, we've heard him use correct pronouns on occasion. For instance, I asked him if the drink was mine and he said "drink yours." He's also picked up some phrases from us that he likes to use. His current favorite (which has officially surpassed "uh-oh" and "oh-no") is "ah nuts!" Very cute to hear!
Not only does he parrot our words and words he hears in movies, but he's also starting to pick up the inflection on them and repeat that. One of his favorite dvds to watch is Mater's Tall Tales (a spin off from the Cars movie starting Tow Mater). By far his favorite of these tales is the one where Mater is a monster truck called "Tormentor." Dylan will say it like the announcer does - "TOR-MEN-TOR!"
In his play, we're also starting to see his imagination at work. He likes to recreate scenes from his favorite movies with his toys (like the tractor tipping scene from Cars). Another skill he's learned recently is jumping. He likes to use that new skill to pretend to be a frog and hop around while saying "ribbit." Pretend play is a pretty huge advance in his little brain waves I think.
An unfortunate event that happened while my parents were here was a somewhat major injury. Dylan did get his first black eye a while back but that didn't seem to bother him much after the initial incident (but bothered us a lot because it looked so sad). Friday morning, Dylan was counting the paint cans by the half bath that Mike's been finishing repainting, picked up one of the quart size cans that was still about half full and dropped it on his big toe. Ouch! The poor guy's big toenail filled up with blood and he was literally writhing in pain. It was just horrible. Thankfully, this has happened to his Dad many times with his years of soccer experience and he knew just what to do. While I just wanted to leave it alone and not touch it, Mike convinced me he needed to try and cut the toe nail to see if he could get to the blood and release the pressure. With tears in our eyes, I held Dylan while Mike bravely did this. He was able to get to it and Dylan started calming almost immediately as the pressure of the blood was relieved. Whew! However, the injury is still haunting him as he continues to limp on that foot from time to time. Poor guy!
On a much happier note, the toe did not bother him so much that he wasn't able to have tons of fun with his grandparents while they were here. An event I'll blog about more in depth, we went on a little hike in the glacial caves on top of Loon Mountain. There were a lot of stairs and some hiking path terrain that Dylan attacked full force. I think we may have a little hiker on our hands. Perhaps we won't be carrying him up mountains in a back pack for too much longer!
Other things we've noticed over the last month. I think he's becoming more shy with new people and in bigger crowds. It's always taken a few minutes for him to warm up but I think he's even a bit more shy now. It was especially apparent at his birthday party (which I'll blog more about) when he really did not want to be the center of attention. I'm not sure if this is a phase or his personality coming through. I suppose only time will tell. Also, the boy has started running on fumes. He really hasn't seemed to eat much at all lately. I don't know where he's getting his energy. The good thing is, the things he does prefer to eat are generally healthy choices. Like his Mom, he seems to prefer veggies over anything else. In fact, the only thing he ate on his birthday (other than some cake), was a whole cucumber. Tomatoes and cucumbers seem to be favorites to eat on most days. What a lucky gal I am!
While we had Dylan's big birthday bash on Sunday, we did want to do something very special for the day of. We drove back from NH this morning and had a while before needing to take Mimaw and Pipaw to the airport. As it was a pretty hot day, we decided a nice air conditioned theater would be nice. So, Dylan went to see his very first movie in the theater - Cars 2. He did great! The second we sat down, he seemed absolutely mesmerized by the large screen. And, for the first hour and a half, he sat very still in a lap or a chair, talked about what was going on with the screen (it was a pretty empty auditorium so I don't think the kid chatter bothered anyone) and was happy. After that, he needed to move around a bit and played with the toy cars he had brought in and walked them up and down the aisle. As he was happy and we didn't seem to be ruining anyone elses experience, I think his first movie viewing experience was a great success!
The last 2 years certainly have been a whirlwind. Having a kid has, obviously, been a life changing experience for Mike and I. A lot about it is tough, mentally and physically, but I never imagined that in spite of the challenge having Dylan has been the most joyful thing we've ever experienced. He makes us laugh so much and so often that I feel like our house is always a happy place. And the love....I suppose other parents are the only ones that can truly understand it (and I'm convinced that no one can love their kid as much as I love Dylan). As cheesy as it sounds, he just fills our hearts so full that they may just burst one day. He is an awesome kid and we are so happy, blessed, lucky....name any great word, to have him in our lives.


1 comment:
We totally agree that he's a wonderful happy boy. What great fun to be with him and his parents for his 2nd b'day!
Post a Comment