4/13/11

Wedding Day - Before the Ceremony

Saturday was the Amy and Brad's wedding day. It was a very busy day! Mike and I wanted to start the morning off with a work out, so Dylan went to play with Mimaw and Pipaw next door, then go down to the lobby for breakfast, while we hit the hotel gym. When we were done, we joined them at the breakfast table for a quick bite before heading up to the room, getting ready and packed to go. I really hurried through all of this as I was being picked up by the bride for us to get a pedicure (since our attempt on Friday was botched).

Amy and I were only a few minutes late to our 9:30 appointment. Once there, we quickly settled into our relaxation time. The massage chairs were on and we chatting and laughing away. However, the massage chairs soon proved to be, um, a bit stranger than she and I had ever experienced. There's really no other way to describe it other that we were being poked, almost in a violating way, in the butt! Thank goodness there was an option on our massage control to keep the poking and rubbing on our backs. I can't speak for Amy, but I had a great time, got a great pedicure and felt very lucky to have such great one on one time with the bride on her wedding day.

Mike and my parents picked me up at 10:30 and we raced off to our next destination - my cousin's house. Last week, my first cousin, Allen, reminded me that his daughter, Lauren, lives in Kyle (the town where the wedding was being held). We didn't have much time to go by but definitely thought it very important to squeeze in some family time while we were in the neighborhood. She and I hadn't seen each other since before her son was born and he's 9 years old! Obviously, it had been too long and we needed to remedy that.  Dylan had fallen asleep in the car so my parents and I headed in, I met her lovely family and we chatted for a while. I did go out and wake up Dylan for a while so that she could meet him and Mike. The whole visit was less than an hour and a half, but I'm so glad to see them.

Jeff with Brook, Matthew, Lauren and Me

Dylan and Brook
Next stop was lunch with the bride's family at the Salt Lick. The Salt Lick is THE place to go for BBQ in the Austin area and I somehow had never been. Due to a slight communication issue, plus the fact that we were 20 minutes late, we didn't actually get to be seated with Amy and her family. While we were waiting for our table, we went over and said hello to them then waited outside by the fish pond. Dylan enjoyed throwing some small pebbles in and the adults checked out the menu.

Once we were seated, we ordered and that food came out quicker than I think I've ever gotten a meal at a sit down restaurant. Even though I normally try to make healthy decisions when I'm eating out and traveling, it was a "when in Rome" situation and I went all out. I enjoyed a sliced sausage sandwich, potato salad, baked beans and coleslaw. Dylan and I even split a scoop of ice cream. It was delicious! However, later that afternoon, I remembered why I don't eat that way....it doesn't sit well with my system. I felt kind of pukey for a while in the afternoon but luckily it wasn't enough to put a damper on the day.





After eating, we went out to the courtyard, enjoyed the warm weather and listened to the band play for a few minutes.


Next stop would be checking into our hotel for the night. Coincidentally, it would also be the site for the wedding. We drove back to Kyle and unloaded at the Winfield Inn. From the parking lot, you walk through an archway and BAM! There's this stunning house and grounds. It was just charming and beautiful...the perfect place for a wedding! Dylan had a great time running around the grounds. By far his favorite part of the house and grounds was the fountain where he loved pointing out the "statue" and the "bubbles."



I tried to make myself useful to the bride. After sitting and chatting with her for a while, she finally found a few jobs for me. I was glad to pitch in.


Me Hanging Some Flowers in the Gazebo
After completing my tasks, I checked back in with the bride. All the gals were well into the getting ready process so it was time to do that myself.
Getting Her Face Painted

Troy (Flower Girl) and Her Mom Kasi (Matron of Honor)

Irina (Flower Girl and Brad's Niece)
Back in our room, it was a mad rush to get me ready, Mike ready and Dylan ready in his tux. Then, it was time for the wedding! Mike went out to sit in the audience and I stayed back to help the ring bearer in his duties.

No comments: