So, let's start at the beginning. On Thursday afternoon (a week and a half ago), my parents dropped Mike and I off at the train station. After we said good bye to them and Dylan (and yes, I did shed some real tears after leaving my little boy), we hopped the train and headed to the airport. My Mom, who is now the proficient texter, let me know that Dylan was doing just fine (ie much better than me) and I was able to start relaxing into our trip. We grabbed a drink and a snack at the airport before boarding the plane. The flight left at about 7pm and was scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam between 8 and 9 in the morning. That meant we needed to get some sleep en route.
Mike and I both popped a tylenol pm a little while after boarding and Mike soon arrived in snooze land. I wasn't so lucky. I was in the middle seat, between 2 good sized men and in front of a row of excited, chatty teenagers. Between not having any room to get comfortable and a constant buzz of girl chatter filling my ears, I got little to no sleep. By my estimate, maybe 45 minutes over 3 or 4 naps. By the time we arrived at customs at Schipol airport, I knew it would be a long day!
After consulting with the information desk at the airport and finding out how to get to our hotel, we hopped a train to the central station (after consulting the schedule and route map several times through our jet lagged daze), then caught a tram to our lovely hotel - the Banks Mansion.
Lucky for us, they were able to accommodate our request for an early check in. So, we dropped our bags, freshened up, grabbed some breakfast from the hotel's "kitchen" just as breakfast service was ending, and headed out for some sight seeing. First on the agenda was the Anne Frank house.
| View of the Canal from our Room |
When we arrived, we took in the sight of the long line we had been told to expect. We had no idea how long the wait was but we decided to stick it out. While waiting, the fatigue really hit me and I was in rough shape. It reminded me, very vividly, of how I often felt through the sleep deprivation of having an infant. Luckily, I only had to keep me standing up and not take care of a little baby...the staying standing part was hard enough.
![]() |
| Anne Frank statue |
| Anne Frank House (Middle) and Museum (right) |
Beer Bike Tours We Saw a Couple of Times During our Stay Seriously! Pedalsaloon.com |
| Canal Houses with Their Furniture Pulleys |
| Canal - Rijks Museum in the Distance |
| Rijks Museum |
The hotel had made reservations for us at an Indonesian restaurant. Either they gave us bad direction or the lack of sleep had killed all brain cells by that point and we could not find the place. To come up with a new plan, we ducked into a swanky place for a cocktail and got a recommendation from the bartender there for a Thai\Indonesian place down the block. Perhaps that was where we were meant to have gone in the first place but it was definitely a different name than the hotel had given us. In any case, they had room to seat us immediately so we were happy. We're pretty open to eating different foods and cultures but I don't think either of us had ever had Indonesian food. Indian, Thai, Vietnamese...lots of other types from that part of the world but not Indonesian specifically. I wanted a sampling so I got a platter of lots of several of their appetizers. Mike zeroed in on an interesting noodle dish. It was a delicious dinner after a very long day. (And Indonesian was a Dutch experience as far as I was concerned as we saw TONS of Indonesian restaurants throughout the city.)
On the way back to the hotel, we saw one of the many "coffee shops" in the city. Yep, that's where the semi legal stuff is sold. For the cultural experience of it, I went in an asked to "see the menu" (Mike was too chicken and made me do the dirty work). And, what do you know, the guy directed me to a button to push which lit it up (no, really that's what we did but I can't help enjoy the irony of that statement)! The guy working also made all kinds of recommendations...kind of a barista of illegal substance. So weird! Don't worry Mom, that was the extent of it. We released the button that unlit the menu and finished our walk back to the hotel. It had been a VERY long day (about a 37 hour one actually) and we were ready for a serious night's sleep.

3 comments:
Your MomSitter is so glad you got to experience lovely things - and only made a curious visit to the "coffee shop". I'm missing Dylan
You MomSitter is glad you got to experience lovely things - ad glad you only made a curious visit to the coffee shop. ;-)
I love keeping up with all you guys!! Thanks so much for sending this link - the pictures of your trip are beautiful and Mr. Dyan was such a delight on Easter!
Post a Comment