3/29/10

March Showers

Rivers are still at their highest levels in years, folks are still trying to dry out their basements so what do we need? More rain of course! While March continues to be a seriously rainy month, all the way to the end, I got to host a different kind of shower over the weekend...an informal, day with the girls, baby shower for my friend Tamara. Her "formal" baby shower is next weekend but we took advantage of our good friend Ana Maria being in town to gather the ladies and have a fun time together.

After Mike, Dylan and I took a long morning walk to take advantage of the break in the rain, Ana Maria and Tamara came over to use our shower (Tamara's bathroom is still under renovation...running weeks late of schedule) then Ana Maria and I headed to the grocery store to get some grub. Later, 4 more ladies and 1 little girl showed up.

We didn't do anything too noteworthy. Mostly, we sat around the kitchen and talked. The group consisted of gals that all used to hand out on the stoop on Commonwealth Ave in Brighton and talk. It was reminiscent of those days, well, except for the fact that were all in very different places in our lives mentally and physically. Instead of being single city dwellers in Boston, newly establishing ourselves in the professional world, we're career women, mothers, wives, etc. As life continues for all of us, taking us further away from the "stoop days," it's really great when we can join together for special occasions and catch up with one another.

Jessica,Tamara,Sue,Me & Dylan,Karen, Madeline, Sarah and Ana Maria

So, with all the rain that we've been having and the time change, it is truly officially spring. With the extra light in the evenings and the warmer weather, I've been happy to get to commute via two wheels again. I dusted off my bike that hasn't been used since the Fall of 2008 and have been riding to work, when there's been an occasional break in the rain. Granted, that's only been a couple of days over the last several weeks, but I'm looking forward to doing that much more. I've really missed it.

The tricky part is that my usual bike route, off the roads, runs on a path that goes through wooded lowlands. As that was just a couple of days after our first bout of flooding, it was a bit of an adventure. I spun through a lot of mud and carried my bike while wading shin deep on normally raised rocks for more of the trip then I would have liked. Needless to say, I took to the streets for my other trips. Riding on the streets is not nearly as relaxing as an event, so I hope that the heavy rains stop soon and the water gets a chance to recede so that I can get back on my bike. Yay for spring!

No comments: