Mike and I have both had to spend our time in court during the last week.
Last Wednesday, I took the day off of work to contest a speeding ticket I got in NH back in August of 2008. Was I speeding, yes. Did I want the 6 year surcharge on my insurance, no. So, my goal going in was to somehow avoid the insurance surcharge. Mike made the hour plus drive with me and we arrived at the court at 12:45 for my 1:00 trial time. It was a small place and, after going through security at the front door, we sat down to wait in the waiting room, also known as the front hallway.
About 10 minutes later, an officer approached me and pulled me aside to chat. Come to find out, this is the guy that wrote me the ticket (one of the six officers operating the speed trap I got caught in). His goal was to settle. I gave him my story about how I didn't think I deserved the ticket (admittedly, not a very solid argument) and he said he would reduce the speed amount on the ticket, thereby reducing the amount due on the ticket. He's also offered up a defensive driving course to reduce points on insurance (which is done regularly in TX to "excuse" tickets but the first I've heard of that offered in New England) but also let me know that my specific insurance company gives you a "get out of jail free pass" on your first ticket. So, I took the compromise and left pleased with the result.
Today, Mike had his time in court. However, his was on the "other side." He was called for jury duty. I'm not sure how MA assigns jury posts, but it seems ridiculous to me that he was assigned a day in court in Worcester, a city about 45 minutes to an hour west of Boston. So, he was up before dawn to make the long trek out there for the day.
After a lot of waiting on uncomfortable chairs, he was not chosen for one jury because it was going to last several days (and apparently the court was also surprised by his "assignment" so far from home) and then after more waiting, he was sent home. Civic duty done....for the next three years at least.
I think we're both going to do our best to stay out of the courts for a while!
No comments:
Post a Comment