12/28/10

Christmas in Dallas - Part 1

A week before Christmas, Mike, Dylan and I set out on a plane to Dallas. The week before was more than a bit chaotic. Not only did we have to pack everyone for a week long trip and do the usual house prep that I do before vacations, as well as my usual work week of course, we had to get all of our Christmas things done. Cards were sent out and gifts were decided on. Since we were doing Christmas with my family while I was there, all of those gifts had to be taken care of before we left and since we were getting back late Christmas Eve, our family and Mike's family gifts as well as Santa presents had to be all set a week before the actual holiday.

With all that done, we left our house very early Saturday morning and headed to the airport. The trip went without hitch and Dylan's Mimaw and Pipaw were waiting for us as we got to baggage claim. The rest of that day, we had a nice time catching up and Dylan had fun playing with his grandparents. Sunday, Dylan and I went to church services with my parents and then we arrived back at their house and were greeted by my great friend Amy and her new fiance, Brad. They made us feel very honored by making the long drive up from Austin to spend just the afternoon with our family.

After lunch, Amy and Brad presented Dylan a lovely card which I read to him. To our surprise, the card asked, by way of cute poem, if Dylan would be the ring bearer in their wedding! I was not at all expecting that and was a little emotional about such a sweet request. Of course Dylan said yes (ok, maybe I did on his behalf) and I can't wait to see how cute he will be all dressed and going down the aisle at the big event in April.
Reading the Card
It was a nice day so we all headed down to the park to let the ring-bearer-to-be get some energy out and have some fun playing. While I chatted with Amy and Brad about wedding details, Dylan played with his Dad and Pipaw and had a great time. We heard LOTS of giggling coming from his cute face.


Me, Amy and Brad
Although far too short of a visit, it was awesome to be able to spend that little amount of time with them. After a long and eventful day, the rest of the evening was spent relaxing at my parents house. The last time we were there, Dylan developed a slight obsession with the Hokey floor sweeper. Well, it didn't take him long to find it and help Mimaw clean up.
Dylan and the Hokey
On Monday, we spent the day with some last minute shopping and a wrapping up all of our gifts for the family. We HAD to get all that done because Tuesday the holiday excitement would be kicked up a notch with the arrival of my brother and his family.

No comments: