9/23/10

Italian Aqua Green Marine Trail

Continuing the narrative of Amy and Brad's visit. This posting reports on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. The title is actually word snippets from all the activities we did on an extremely full day in Boston. It was a busy day...let's get started!


With the busy days we'd had, running from state to state, through caves, up mountains and to games, little Dylan had literally been dragged all over the place. We all decide the next day should be more about Dylan. So, first stop was the aquarium!


Boston Aquarium - Brad, Amy, Kara ,Mike and Dylan



It didn't occur to us (well, at least to me), that on a nice day on a holiday weekend that the place would be a mad house. It really was! Apparently, it didn't bother anyone else and I tried to keep my slight crowd claustrophobia to myself. Amy and Brad, it being their first visit there, had a great time exploring all the tanks. We saw the infamous Myrtle the turtle swim (which she only does about once a day), watched the penguins swim around and saw tons of awesome fish species. The aquarium has a great outdoor exhibit of the harbor seals and Dylan had a great time running around there. He even discovered a cute statue...





And we plopped him on top for a photo...



After the aquarium, we picked up some ice cream on our way to the Rose Kennedy Greenway park. While we sat and enjoyed our ice cream, Dylan had fun playing on the grass.

Then, he saw the ring fountain and wanted to go play in the water. Mike, the super dad that he is, was prepared with a little swimmer diaper, a towel AND a change of clothes!



Next on the agenda was a walk on a portion of the Freedom Trail to see the USS Constitution. Amy and Brad had explored most of the historical trail the day after their arrival but, as what happens with many tourists, ran out of time and steam before making it across the harbor to this sight. Dylan fell asleep on the walk over so I let Mike take our guests to the ship tour and I hung out with the sleeping baby.


USS Constitution

As I mentioned, this is the last portion of the Freedom Trail which normally isn't quite as heavily traveled. In fact, the many times I've taken tourists around, I've never even made it to the last site on the trail - The Bunker Hill monument. Since I had some time on my hands and a sleeping baby in a stroller, I made the walk up through the really cute streets of Charlestown (an area of town I've really not spent any time in) and up the hill to the monument.


Sleeping Dylan with Bunker Hill Monument (apparently getting some work done to it)

After our detour, I brought Dylan back to the navy yard, waited just a few minutes before he woke up and walked around with him until the rest of the gang finished their tour. Next stop, dinner in the North End. You really just can't go wrong in any restaurant in "Little Italy." So, we picked one out that had a menu we were all happy with, had tables immediately ready and looked somewhat child friendly.


After a long day, the big, wonderful meal felt fabulous! While we finished eating Dylan had a great time entertaining himself with two empty glasses, pieces of pizza crust and a lot of transfers back and forth with the crust between them. Hey, whatever floats his boat and keeps him happy is good for me!


North End Dinner - Mike, Kara, Dylan, Amy and Brad


No comments: