8/3/09

Slowly Workin' (Out) Back Up to It

Several days after returning home from the hospital, I trekked 8 blocks to and from the parked car on a shopping trip. I had been feeling really good and took it slowly so thought it would be okay. That evening, I was incredibly uncomfortable! It was then that I realized I would definitely not be jumping back into my workout routine. I would be forced to take it slowly.

Since then, I started with walks around the block. Once I was sure my body was okay, I ventured out for longer, slow treks with Dylan in the stroller and sometimes joined by Mike. My distance and speed have gradually increased. Now, we're regularly taking family walks for about an hour several times a week. I'm ready for more!

Getting the pregnancy weight off is a top priority for me. I had been very happy with my physical fitness and body image pre-pregnancy and yearn to feel that way again. So, it's time to get serious and go for heavier workouts.

Yesterday, I made the big leap back to my weight lifting class at the gym. I hadn't been since early into my 8th month of pregnancy. I stuck with about the same weights I had been using then (a far cry from my pre-pregnancy amounts) and I made it through unharmed! Wahoo! I'm back!

Now that I'm confident my body is ready for more, I'm going to be setting a routine that I'll hopefully be able to stick to. Today, the family is going to go for a walk then play a little tennis. I also hope to fit in more weight lifting this week and possibly some yoga. Baby weight loss, here I come!

No comments: