7/2/09

How Am I Supposed to Rest for THE Marathon?

Over and over I hear that labor is the marathon for which I've been training for the last 9 (actually, almost 10) months. In this last month of pregnancy, you're supposed to rest up as much as possible so that your body is as ready as it can be for the big event.

Here's the problem. Sometime last weekend, when this "labor could happen any day" reality hit me, my subconscious kicked into overdrive. On the surface, and how I feel in waking moments, is a feeling of calm waiting. I'm just doing what I can before "the time" actually comes, taking everything in stride and hanging out with no structured plans that I could have to cancel. It's definitely not a natural "state" for me to be in. I like to be busy and to plan events. However, I really thought I was doing a good job of being relaxed. Well, apparently not.

Even though sleeping and resting is top priority for me, I haven't been doing a very good job of it. Why? Because of my anxiety filled dreams, that's why. Aches and pains during the night are nothing new...they've woken me multiple times during the nights for some time now. However, now these aches and pains are now manifesting in dreams that I'm going into labor and my sleep is very restless and anything but peaceful and relaxing. How to calm the mind...during sleep? Perhaps I should be doing my prenatal yoga DVD more often? Any other thoughts on how to get my subconscious mind to take a chill pill?

1 comment:

MGerson said...

Try to do some relaxing things to take your mind off the waiting. I know it's difficult...that's why I worked until after my due date...right up until I was 6 hours into my labor! hahaha I'm like you and would have had a difficult time sitting around and waiting. Try to take some leisurely walks, do some reading or watch some movies. When you're in labor, you'll know it for sure so, just try to relax and enjoy the last few days before the baby comes.