Our first site was along the road - La Coca Falls. It was one of those rare opportunities where we were able to get a picture together (not self portrait style).
Next stop, a hike up 98 stairs to the top of Yokahu Tower. It boasted amazing panoramic views of Luquillo mountains and Luquillo beach.
Yokahu Tower
Luquillo Beach
Los Picachos and El Yunque Peaks
Of course, the beauty of the rain forest can't really be experienced except hiking through it by foot. So, Mike an I chose the most challenging path, of course, El Yunque peak. It was really beautiful to walk among all the interesting trees and listen to the calls of tropical birds and tree frogs...unfortunately, we didn't actually get to see them. However, we did get to see these 2 really cool guys when we took a break on a bench by a random chimney.
Little Lizard Dude
Big 'Ol Snail
Finally, we made it to the top! Although we did get a few glimpses of the amazing scenery through a few moments of cloud clearing, we only got a few snapshots.
Luquillo Beach from El Yunque
Los Picachos from El Yunque
Not surprisingly, after a 4 hour hike, we were exhausted. That's the most physical activity I've had since carrying the bambino. And, although my energy level has increased just a bit (somedays), it's definitely not what it was pre-pregnancy. I was so pooped by the end of the hike, I could barely keep my eyes open to watch where I was going on the last part of the trail. A low key evening was definitely on the books.
I did get a little perk up on the way back to San Juan when my wonderful husband popped by Baskin Robbins to get me some ice cream. Yum! When hiking in NH in the summers, this is one of our post exercise traditional treats, so we couldn't mess with tradition. After cleaning up back at the hotel, we managed to leave the room again just for dinner in the lobby and then it was a long night's rest for us.
For more pictures of El Yunque and our hike, please view the full album.
No comments:
Post a Comment