10/11/15

Rio Secreto

Mike found the cd of photos we got from one of our off resort excursions on our trip to Mexico in June. It was really an awesome experience! Just a small group, an underground river and our helmets with headlamps to lead the way - The Secret River.

First we had to get blessed by a Mayan shaman\priest before we entered the underworld. Entering the underworld for water used to be the sole responsibility of the Mayan priest but now they allow tourists to do it too.
That's me and Mike right behind the shaman with our super cool outfits.
There were times on the tour that we were walking on dry ground and other times that we had to swim under stalactites (an experience I highly recommend).

Of course we weren't allowed to bring anything in other than ourselves and our caving gear. So we had the pleasure of purchasing an additional photo package so we can have pictures to help us remember the excursion. The pro to that is that their professional photographers got some really nice shots of the cave that are much better than we would have gotten ourselves.

Ever since I visited my first one as a kid, I have had a fascination with caves\caverns. They are truly amazing natural formations I am in awe of. Getting to experience one this way was really awesome. The downside to traveling without my kids is that now I feel like I need to go back so I can do these things with them too!

No comments: