10/31/13

Happy Hines Halloween

We have been waiting for this day for a long time now. Dylan LOVES anything spooky. Our lives have been nothing but talking about Halloween, watching Halloween shows and looking at Halloween decorations (around our house, at other people's yards and even at stores) for weeks now. I've also been doing a lot of work making Dylan's Halloween costume (which I'll talk more about another time). His current obsession is a Skylander's game and he wanted to be Eye Brawl. Not a costume mass produced of course which is why I had to take the reins.
This is Eye Brawl

Our Halloween celebration started a week and a half ago at a friends Halloween bash. The party was about half a mile away and parking was going to be tight so we opted to walk. We became our own little parade as we dressed in costume, loaded the kids up in the stroller, and walked over to their house. Imagine seeing this gang strolling down the street a couple of weeks before Halloween:

Skeleton, Lion, Jack Skeleton, Eye Brawl

Eye Brawl says, "I've got my EYE on you!"
Cade Lion says, "I'm not sure about this costume thing."

Dylan Eye Brawl with good pal Libby Strawberry Shortcake

Lion hugging on Strawberry Shortcake
Spooky Mama
I was worried I would scare Cade so I applied the makeup in front of him.
He wasn't phased in the least....he actually loved it and was very entertained
by made up mama all night. Dylan, of course, loves ALL skeletons...especially a Mom one.

The party was a great start to our Halloween festivities!

This week, Dylan came down with a nasty cold. Poor guy's been just feeling run down on the very week he's really been looking forward to. We decided to not have him go to school on Wednesday in lieu of taking it easy and getting back to better health. We did, however, scoot him up to school so he could participate in the school's Halloween parade. They basically walk up the street in costume, go into the bank, sing a couple of songs, walk back, sing the parents a song then go back in the school (or in Dylan's case go back home). The kids were all ridiculously cute and it was such a joy to go see.



Is it just me or does that eye ball really stand out in the crowd?

Then, of course, today was Halloween. I scooted out of work early to get home, get the kids (and me) dressed then went out for trick or treating. Cade was definitely not his usual happy self today (might be getting Dylan's cold) so he was not totally digging the whole trick or treat thing. What he did really like was picking candy out of buckets and putting them back in. Everything else, not so much.

Dylan was excited to go trick or treating with his best friend, Isabella. He was not so thrilled to wear the eyeball head I spent so much time making. He was a sport though and wore it at the doors for trick or treating and took it off in between.
Eye Brawl and Minnie Mouse
Right when the kids collectively decided they were done, we headed back to the house as some sprinkles started to fall so it was good timing.

We got home and enjoyed some candy. Cade was much happier once home, snuggling with mom and moving candy back and forth from bucket to bucket. And, we all took a turn trying on the eyeball head (which I thought was pretty comfortable to wear).
Giving Dylan's bucket his candy then stealing it back.

This should have been my costume...pretty sweet (naked baby included).

Naked Eye Ball Baby!!!

Both of the boys had a late bed time and were very ready to get to sleep. I'm somewhat concerned there's going to be some disappointed boys when the Halloween decor goes back into storage. Crossing my fingers were able to put it away without much drama as I'm ready to reclaim the house a bit....until the Christmas decor comes out at least.

No comments: