7/22/12

My Budding Sailor and Art Enthusiast

I got a little confused. When writing the post on Dylan's birthday I thought that the next day of activities I wanted to post about happened the day after Dylan's birthday. Silly me. The following activities and photos happened the day before Dylan's birthday - his last day of being 2. Weird. Must be like I haven't slept in a while or something.

While Mimaw and Pipaw were in town, we did a lot of nothing exciting. Mike and I took advantage of child care help to get a few projects worked on around the house and my parents had a lot of fun playing with the kids at the casa. There was lots of playing Star Wars and swinging. Exciting stuff.
Swinging

Mmmmm.....Watermelon!

One of Several Light Sabers 

More Swinging!
In festive 4th of July outfits this time.

Gross Baby Mouth
Our Independence Day celebration was another day at the house, food on the grill, and an evening watching fireworks on tv....and a few out the window. There was no way we would have been able to keep Dylan up that late so we didn't try. Maybe someday we'll see a grand fireworks show again but not this year.

A grand show we did get to see on the 5th was the Tall Ships. I have wanted to go to this event every time it's been in town over the last 12 years I've lived in Boston (maybe 3 times?) and have always missed it for one reason or another. Well, not this year. We made it downtown after Dylan's nap and got to tour 2 beautiful ships.

A Jolly Rodger Flag
Dylan can always spot a skeleton!

He loved "sailing" the boat.



Afterwards, we decided to go the new seafood restaurant on the harbor. Legal Seafood is a chain restaurant but this new location is supposed to be great. When we approached the restaurant I saw a familiar face - my coworker's son in law (his wife used to work with us as well). I totally forgot that he managed that restaurant. I went to say hello to him, chatted with him about his family (his 2 kids are about a month younger than Dylan and Cade) and then he sat us at a harbor side table and took care of us the rest of the night. It was a nice treat. The boys were angels at dinner (which often does not happen) so that was a double nice treat.

After dinner, we went to the nearby ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) which is free on Thursday nights. Can you tell I like free? I like it for me but even more with the kiddos since you never know how long you'll be able to stay at a venue. My parents were happy to check it out but didn't really love the offerings. They're not contemporary art folks. Dylan surprisingly REALLY enjoyed himself. His favorite part was the chandelier movie. It was just a video panning in on contemporary chandeliers in a beautiful theater. He and I watched it for a while then went to find the rest of the group. Dylan brought them all there and watched the movie a while longer. He was mesmerized! We'll have to try an art museum again soon and see how well it goes over a 2nd time.

No comments: