As Dylan had quite a few presents to open from family near and far, we made the decision to start on them a couple of days early. If it was going to be anything like his birthday, he would get tired after opening 2 of them. On the evening of the 23rd, we let him open gifts from his Uncle Jody's family and his Aunt Pam and Uncle Kerryn. He loved it and immediately wanted to put on some of his new jammies, read some of his new books and take his new stuffed animal to bed with him. He also wanted to open up more presents. I guess we didn't have to worry too much about him getting present overload!
Christmas Eve was busy. We dropped by our friends' Hanukkah party for just a bit but took off early to have our family Eve events. Dylan got a couple more gifts...some of the smaller ones we had to give him. Mike really wanted to give him all the new movies so that he could enjoy one that night. After opening what we gave him, he only wanted to watch an old favorite - Harry Potter. However, that was due to the fact that he'd just gotten a skeleton Lego man and the beginning of the Deathly Hallows Part II has a clip of Lego Voldomort making silly faces in a mirror that Dylan loves to watch. So, after decorating some of the gingerbread cookies we had made to be left out for Santa and having a nice family dinner, that was our Christmas Eve family night movie.
After Dylan went to bed, the elves (us) got to work. Santa presents were laid out and I furiously tried to finish a very special gift I was making for Dylan. As the clock ticked closer to 11, I finally resigned to the fact that I wouldn't finish and would give it to him as a post Christmas Day present. After another hour of set up and stocking stuffing, the tired elves headed to bed.
| Cookies and Milk for Santa |
| The Presents Await! |
| Santa's Been Here |
After breakfast, we moved all the gifts from under the tree into the living room so we could open them in a comfortable setting. Sitting on the couch with pillows situated just right is about the only way I'm comfortable these days. Pretty quickly, Dylan dashed back to the other room to hang out in the bed. The only way he joined us was Mike moving his new bed into the living room for the fun. We were overjoyed that he liked it that much!
As Christmas is obviously not really about what we got, I won't be petty and list all the material things we exchanged. Though, I will say that Mike did a great job of being thoughtful with my gifts and I think (hope) he felt the same about what I chose for him.
| The kitties gave Dylan a stuffed shark. |
Once the big boy woke up, we all got ready (in about record time I think) and headed to Mike's sister's house where the true chaos would begin. Mike's family is great. I love them dearly. But, as they are very much are aware of, the craziness that happens when they all get together is something to get used to. It's a very different pace and volume than I'm used to with my family. After years of family gatherings with them, I'm mostly used to it. However, throw in a couple of crazy (but also very lovable) dogs and a whole 'nother family (my sister-in-law's in-laws), you get a very loud, nutty afternoon!
We ate, we talked, we played with the dogs, the kids played together, new toys were shown and shared and general merriment was had by all. After we were all full from food and the kids were getting restless in anticipation, more presents were passed out. The next block of time was a complete blur! Kids were ripping gifts open left and right, wrapping paper seemed to be flying about and I couldn't even keep up with having Dylan open what was handed our way. Then, things settled a bit and kids scattered to enjoy even more new stuff.
| Dylan Checking Out His New Computer |
| Bumpa (Mike's Dad), Uncle Jim and Cousins Jacob and Corwin |
| Dylan, a Very Tired Me and Jacob |
1 comment:
Hi Kara! I love the Christmas pictures. Glad all is well. Please give your fam my email address for any big news too! Take care, I miss ya'll!
Post a Comment