8/6/08

Girls Gone (Mildly) Wild

Last weekend I had the pleasure of co-hosting Jenn's bachelorette party at the NH condo.

Friday afternoon, I took off work early and drove up with Brenda and Kari.  We were about 30 minutes in front of Jenn and Nicole (the MOH from Florida) and had just enough time to give the place a quick cleaning and set up a few things we had planned for the weekend.

Once everyone got there, we chatted for a bit and then walked across the road to look at the Pemigewassett River to calm any fears that it wouldn't be a relaxing kayaking ride the next day.  On the way back across the street, we stopped in at our neighbor's place to get some fresh eggs they advertise.  While there, we got to meet Xena their dog and Festus their goat.

I was warned that the eggs were blue, but I definitely didn't believe it until I saw it.  Sure enough, they had a blue tint to them.  The photo didn't get the best light, but I think you can make out the Easter tint to them.  Cool, huh?

We watched the weather channel that night because the forecast hadn't looked too great for the weekend.  According to the reports, we might have time to do a planned kayak trip first thing in the morning.  Of course, we had made no reservations so we would have to wait until the ski shop opened the next day to see if they had any rentals available.

Saturday morning, we got up, had a lovely leisurely breakfast, including our blue fresh eggs and then promptly called the shop at 9 for rentals.  They had no openings.  So, we called another place in the next town over and, as luck would have it, they had room for us.  The only problem?  It was 9:25, none of us were ready, they wanted to drop the boats in the water at 10 and we were a 15 minute drive away.  Yikes!  We all swung into action and, by some miracle, got there at about 10 of 10!  Whew!  Now, time to have fun and relax!

This was a section of the river that I hadn't done before so it was cool to see something new.  It was very peaceful and we didn't see many signs of human life after we got in the water (very different than the other route I've done where it's more of a constant river party).  So, we felt as if we had the whole river to ourselves.  

We did get to see a little wildlife - a few baby ducks and some Osprey.  We got to view the ginormous Osprey nest.  After we passed it, we saw an Osprey flying towards the nest with something in it's talons...as it flew directly above us, we realized it was a rat!  Ewww!  Gross but pretty cool to see!

Here are some pics of the kayaking:

My attempt to get our kayak cluster with a self portrait.
I got four (well 2 and 2 halves) of the five of us - not bad!
(L to R) Brenda, Jen, Kari, Me
Yet another self portrait - Me and Nicole.

After a great trip, we headed back to the condo for a little lunch.  Brenda, Jenn and I still had a little energy to burn off and it looked like the rain was going to hold off for a bit so the three of us headed to my favorite local NH hike - the Welch Dickey peaks.  We just wanted a quick hike so we headed up to the first outlook on the Welch peak for a nice view.

Brenda, Jenn and I on the granite outcropping on Welch Mountain
At the top there were wild blueberries!

Yes, this is what you think it is - poo!
I'm 95% sure it's bear scat, and you can see
that the bear has also been enjoying the blueberries!
After the hike, we got back and all the gals started getting pretty to go out to dinner.  I think the rain held off until about then.  Then, we all enjoyed a great dinner at the Country Cow.  What's a party without ice cream, right?!?!  So, we had to have some ice cream sundae's when we got back to the condo.  Yummy!

Nicole and Jenn smiling with their ice cream
What's a bachelorette party without a lingerie party?  So, of course we got Jenn some snexy stuff, though you folks don't need to see that!  Brenda had some very amusing gifts to give Jenn, and I'll let you see just one of the funnies:

DOH!!!
We also enjoyed chick flicks, pedicures and each others' company!  A great night!

All in all it was truly a perfect weekend.  Everything worked in our favor and a fabulous time was had by all.  It was the winning combination of girls, relaxing and fun!

1 comment:

Shaunna said...

This has got to be the first bachelorette party I've ever heard about that includes hiking and kayaking, but how fun!! It sounds like the weekend was a success :)